TGEU, together with ARC International, would like to invite you to participate in a 3-day UN training, which will take place in Geneva, in the period between 14 September – 2 October 2015. This training is part of TGEU’s strategic objectives for capacity building.
The training will bring together activists from the Global South and East and activists from (Eastern) Europe to learn how UN human rights mechanisms work in practice and how activists can use them to advance the rights of trans and gender diverse people in their national and regional contexts.
During the training, participants will have the opportunity to observe and participate in the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process of the UN Human Rights Council, to participate in a side event at the UN on the human rights of trans people, to meet with diplomatic representatives of their own countries and to network and exchange knowledge with other activists and NGOs.
The aim of the training is to increase the capacity of participants’ organisations to engage in effective trans advocacy at the UN. Through the training, participants will:
- Increase their knowledge about UN human rights bodies and processes
- Improve their understanding of effective advocacy methods at the UN
- Gain an oversight over relevant international human rights law, resolutions and reports
- Build a network with government representatives, NGOs and other activists
Profile of participants
Participants have to:
- Volunteer or work for a trans or LGBTI organisation from wider Europe (with strong preference given to activists from Eastern Europe) or from the Global South or East
- Have the support of their organisation for their application
- Have a demonstrated track record of activism on trans rights and trans issues
- Be engaged in or responsible for their organisation’s current or planned advocacy work at the UN. Participants’ organisations do not necessarily need to have prior experience engaging with the UN, but there needs to be a commitment to do so in the near future.
- Be able to speak and write effectively in English
- Commit to participate in the follow-up to the training
- Attend for the full duration of the 3-day training
The training will take place over 3 days between 14 September – 2 October 2015. Exact dates will depend on the programme of work of the UN Human Rights Council, which has not yet been released. Applicants are asked to indicate their availability in the application form, and successful applicants will be informed of the specific dates of the training at a later stage.
Reimbursement & costs
Successful applicants will have accommodation provided and travel expenses met by TGEU and will receive a per diem to cover food, local transportation and other costs.
TGEU will provide assistance in organising visa and travel, if required.
Please complete the online application form by 21 June 2015, 23:00 CEST.
Should you have problems completing the form online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by email, latest by 18 June 2015, 12:00 CEST, to have the application form sent to you by email.
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
The training is funded by the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.