Do you have background and experience in community organising?
Do others describe you as a networker, supporter and community person?
Do you want to strengthen local and national trans community organisations and groups across Europe and Central Asia?
Transgender Europe is looking for a full time (40h per week) Community Building Officer to support trans community organising in Europe and Central Asia as well as to build capacity of trans organisations.
Only applications sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 16, 2017 noon CET will be considered.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a European non-profit, non-governmental umbrella organisation working for the full equality and inclusion of all trans people in Europe. The network includes trans and other organisations that support or work for the rights of all trans people across Europe. The mission of TGEU is to support and strengthen the trans movement and to be a strong voice for trans rights in Europe and beyond.
In order to increase diversity in our team, we encourage persons who belong to disadvantaged groups, particularly trans women and persons of colour, to apply.
The vacancy is for a Community Building officer (CBO). The CBO will be responsible for the implementation of TGEU’s community building work, that is to support the development of a lively, sustainable, powerful and diverse community, strengthening initiative groups, grass-roots level organisations or specific advocacy-based NGOs. The CBO will work together with individuals and organisations on the national and regional level, will develop, hold and implement trainings and seminars according to the needs of the community, play a key role in shaping the European Transgender Council as a key event for the trans community. The position requires regular travel in Europe and occasionally to Central Asia.
The Community Building Officer is part of the Projects Team and reports directly to the Executive Director.
The place of work is located in Berlin, Germany.
Key responsibilities are:
- Support the TGEU membership in strengthening community outreach, self-organising, activist well-being & burn-out prevention, organisational development, etc.
- Conceptualise and implement capacity and community building trainings, seminars and study visits for trans rights organisations in Europe and Central Asia;
- Help organise the European Transgender Council programme;
- Develop and implement community consultations;
- Liaise with TGEU membership;
- Contribute to the strategic development of the organisation;
- Contribute to internal and external reporting;
- Take up other tasks, as resulting from organisational processes.
Who are we looking for:
For this position, we are looking for an activist who has experience in community organising, capacity building, and/or organisational development work. You have gained this experience doing paid or volunteer work. Ideally, you have worked for an NGO before, preferably in an international setting and have a network of contacts in trans communities.
What you should bring:
- Vocational training or college or university degree in a relevant field, or three years of substantial professional experience in community organising or NGO capacity building.
- At least one year of professional experience in the areas of community work or capacity building, or matching volunteer experience;
- Demonstrable work experience with activist well-being, burn-out prevention and community organising;
- At least two years of work experience in a national or preferably international non-governmental organisation – paid or unpaid;
- Experience and knowledge of developing, organising, and delivering trainings and seminars;
- Experience with intersectional work approaches and with reaching out to different groups and their inclusion in work procedures and activities;
- Sound knowledge of current topics and challenges in trans community organising in Europe;
- Writing of reports, leaflets, handbooks, and other training and educational materials;
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI or human rights related fields is highly desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Good knowledge of Russian or of another European or Central Asian language is a plus;
- Being comfortable working both in teams and alone;
- Being approachable and open-minded, with a can-do attitude;
- An organised approach to administrative work and planning;
- Ability to support complex working processes;
- Familiarity with intercultural and international settings;
- Having reflected on de-colonised approaches of working in partnerships;
- The ability to deal with stressful situations;
- Ability to manage a high workload;
- Sound ability to work with individuals and diverse teams.
- A full position (40h per week) starting on September 1, 2017 for an initial period of two years with a possibility to prolong the position contingent on availability of funding;
- A motivated team that will allow you to implement your own ideas;
- The possibility to work for Europe’s leading trans human rights NGO network;
- Salary of 40.200€ per annum in the first year with a salary development scheme for following years;
- The possibility to reduce the position to 80% (32h per week)
- Relocation support to Berlin.
Please use the TGEU application pack, which can be downloaded here:
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer and strives to avoid discrimination and less favourable treatment, including in our own procedures. Therefore, TGEU conducts a semi-anonymous application procedure in which personal details such as disability, race, ethnic origin or nationality, religion, age, place of birth, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, bodily diversity, or any other characteristics irrelevant for the qualification of an applicant, are not known to the team that shortlists candidates.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CVs. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please do not send copies of degrees and certificates. You will be asked to provide these at a later stage in the process.
Job interviews are scheduled to take place in early July in Berlin.
In case you have questions in relation to the application procedure, the position or TGEU please send your inquiry to email@example.com. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
Please send your application before June 16, 2017 noon CET to firstname.lastname@example.org.