Do you care deeply about equal rights of trans people in health?
Do you have solid knowledge of trans-rights and trans communities?
Do you have experience in the field of health?
Transgender Europe is looking for a part time (80%, 32h per week) Health Officer for an initial period of 18 months.
Only complete application packs sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 20 , 2017 noon CET will be considered.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a European non-profit, non-governmental umbrella organisation working for the full equality and inclusion of all trans people in Europe. The network includes trans and other organisations that support or work for the rights of all trans people across Europe. The mission of TGEU is to support and strengthen the trans movement and to be a strong voice for trans rights in Europe and beyond.
In order to increase diversity in our team, we encourage persons who belong to disadvantaged groups, particularly trans women and persons of colour, to apply.
The Health Officer will be responsible for implementing TGEU’s activities in relation to its strategic goal on health that is to “ensure that trans people attain the highest attainable standard of trans related health care, have equal access to general healthcare, and that trans identities are no longer considered mental health conditions.“
The Health Officer will be part of the Policy Team and reports to the Executive Director.
The place of work is located in Berlin, Germany.
Key responsibilities are:
- Develop and implement TGEU’s work in relation to health and access to healthcare in particular support the development and promotion of non-stigmatising access models to trans related healthcare;
- Raise awareness about and work towards trans identities to be removed from the mental health section of the International Classification of Diseases and its national versions;
- Support the work of trans rights organisations to depathologise trans identities on national level;
- Raise awareness among trans people, healthcare providers, decision makers and other stakeholders on barriers trans persons face in accessing care on international, European and national levels;
- Liaison with relevant stakeholders in the field;
- Contribute to strategic development of the organisation;
- Contribute to internal and external reporting;
- Other tasks, as resulting from organisational processes.
Who we are looking for:
For this position, we are looking for someone who strongly cares about equal access of trans persons to healthcare. Someone who has worked in the field of public health, and someone who has ideally NGO-work experience (paid or unpaid) – preferably internationally.
Someone who is highly committed to the aims of TGEU.
What you should bring:
- degree in a health related field such as public health or health administration or equivalent qualification obtained through relevant work experience in the field.
- At least two years of professional experience in the area of health, public health or healthcare;
- At least two years of work experience in a national or preferably international non-governmental organisation is a plus;
- Work or volunteer experience in trans related healthcare is desired;
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI and/or human rights related fields is desired.
- Sound knowledge of diverse healthcare systems in Europe, including cost coverage in health care schemes, is highly desired;
- Robust advocacy and negotiation skills;
- Ability to navigate through hostile environments;
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Good knowledge of another European language is highly desired;
- Knowledge of the human rights frameworks is desirable;
- Ability to handle complex working processes;
- Familiarity with intercultural and international approaches;
- Ability to manage a high work load;
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams.
- An 80% (32h per week) position starting on September 1st, 2017 for an initial period of 18 months with a possibility to prolong the contract contingent on availability of funding;
- A motivated team that will allow you to implement your own ideas;
- The possibility to work for Europe’s leading trans human rights NGO;
- Salary of 32.160€ per annum with a salary development scheme over the following years;
- Relocation support to Berlin.
Please use the TGEU application pack, which can be downloaded here:
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer and strives to avoid discrimination and less favourable treatment, including in our own procedures. Therefore, TGEU conducts a semi-anonymous application procedure in which personal details, such as disability, race, ethnic origin or nationality, religion, age, place of birth, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, bodily diversity or any other characteristics irrelevant for the qualification of an applicant, are not known to the team shortlisting the candidates.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CVs. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please do not send copies of degrees and certificates. You will be asked to provide these at a later stage in the process.
Job interviews are preliminarily scheduled to take place in Berlin in early July.
In case you have questions in relation to the application procedure, the position, or TGEU please send your inquiry exclusively to email@example.com. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
Please send your application before June 20, 2017 noon CET to firstname.lastname@example.org.