TGEU is looking for a Community Building Officer, starting mid-February 2024. This role is 80% (32h/week) with the option to increase to full-time.
This job is based in Berlin, Germany. TGEU will provide support if a work visa is required.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 December 2023, 12:00 noon CET.
TGEU is the largest trans-led and member-based non-profit focused on the rights and wellbeing of trans people in Europe and Central Asia, representing more than 200 member organisations in 48 countries.
We are looking someone to work with our members and who is committed to TGEU’s vision of a world free from discrimination where gender diversity is celebrated, where trans people are valued, and where trans movements are self-aware, intersectional, and evolving to meet the needs of a diverse and resilient community.
The Community Building Officer (CBO) will be responsible for implementing TGEU’s community-building work. The CBO will work with individuals and organisations on the national and regional level; develop, hold and implement trainings and meetings according to the needs of the community; and support the Senior Programme Officer (SPO) on TGEU’s community and movement-building work.
Supporting TGEU’s community building and member engagement work
- Conducting community and member consultations with the SPO
- Supporting community organisations in Europe and Central Asia, in particular TGEU member organisations, in strengthening community outreach, self-organising, activist well-being and burn-out prevention, organisational development, etc.
- Building and maintaining relationships with TGEU membership in Europe and Central Asia
- Developing and holding community and capacity-building trainings for trans organisations in Europe and Central Asia
- Managing and regularly updating the CRM member database system
- Supporting the coordination of the Trans Refugee Network
- Supporting the development of the member crisis support information pack and programmes
- Supporting the organising of the European and Central Asian Trans Council
- Building relationships and liaising with other community-led trans-led networks and other social justice movement organisations in Europe and Central Asia
- Facilitating partnerships and collaborations with and between members and other social movements
- Leading the development and implementation of TGEU’s member engagement strategy
- Contributing to internal and external reporting
- Supporting the SPO with other tasks related to community and movement building
Who we are looking for
For this position, we are looking for a driven, curious, empathetic trans activist who has been involved in local, regional, and/or international trans, LGBTI, and/or queer organising. We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives, and accumulates a set of skills:
- Fluent knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Good knowledge of Russian or other European languages is highly desired
- Highly comfortable working with community members, partners, and external stakeholders
- Strong understanding of intersectional justice, including in own work approach and willingness to learn, unlearn, and challenge normative narratives
- A respectful and ethical approach to community building with strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, manage own time and high workload as well as plan multiple priorities on different timelines
- Ability to learn quickly when confronting new issues and priorities with a high sense of initiative and ability to manage stressful situations
- Ability to work in diverse and professional teams
- Comfortable presenting TGEU’s work to a diverse set of audiences
- Events organising and logistical skills
- Ability to work well and build rapport with colleagues off- and online
- Good knowledge of current topics and challenges in trans community organising in Europe and Central Asia
- Commitment to TGEU values and policies, and indisputable work ethics
- At least 3 years of volunteer or paid community organising or activism on the local, national or international level (including online activism)
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI and/or human rights-related fields is desired.
- Documented interest or engagement in community organising (trainings and events)
What we offer
- An 80% (32 hours per week) position for an initial period of 24 months, starting in February/March 2024 (or upon obtaining a work visa for candidates outside of the EU)
- Gross salary of 36.314,02€ per year, with 5 % increase after one year
- The possibility of working for the European and Central Asian trans movement
- A diverse and supportive team of committed activists that will allow you to implement your ideas
- Holidays, healthcare and pension plans according to German employment law
- Up to 3,000 € of relocation support to Berlin, Germany (if the hiring is from outside of the EU)
- Training, coaching, and/or counselling sessions if needed
TGEU office accessibility
TGEU’s offices are partially accessible for wheelchair users: there is a steep ramp from the street down to the elevator; once inside, all the rooms are situated on one level and the office doors and corridors are very wide; the toilets are on the same level but the doors are too narrow to allow access when using a wheelchair.
How to apply
To apply, please download and complete the application pack:
Send completed applications to email@example.com by 20 December at 12:00 noon CET.
Please do not send degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Any questions about the position should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org with COMMUNITY BUILDING OFFICER in the subject line. Otherwise, approaching a member of TGEU staff about this vacancy might lead to an automatic disqualification of the applicant.
15 November 2023: Launch of the call
20 December 2023: Deadline for receiving applications
18 January 2024: Notification only to shortlisted candidates for interviews
22-24 January 2024: Online interviews
26 January 2024: Decision communicated to all applicants
1 February 2024: Start of position (or upon obtaining a work visa for candidates outside of the EU)
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer striving to avoid discrimination and increase representation and expertise from underrepresented groups on the team. Therefore, TGEU encourages trans and/or queer; black people and people of colour; D/deaf and disabled people; people with a migration background; sex workers; trans women and gender-non-conforming people; people from Eastern Europe and Central Asia; people living with HIV, to apply and mention their backgrounds and experiences in their application. We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before or on 20 December 2023, 12:00 noon Central European Time.