Call for consultant at TGEU
TGEU is seeking to contract a consultant (up to 20 days) to support our work in the area of strategic litigation and raising legal literacy amongst the trans community in 2021. Due to funding restrictions we regret we can only consider bids from individuals or teams based in the European Union or the United Kingdom.
If you are interested, please submit your offer to email@example.com by 31 August 2021, 19:00 CEST. TGEU will assess all bids received by the deadline and award tenders on the basis of “best value for money.” Publication specifications are estimates.
TGEU is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU’s mission is to strengthen the rights and wellbeing of trans people in Europe and Central Asia, and represents 166 member organisations in 47 countries.
Trans people across Europe and Central Asia remain at an increased risk of violence, discrimination, criminalising practices, and detention. Particularly trans sex workers, migrants, refugees, unemployed, homeless, and other marginalised groups have to fight a continuous mix of systematic and individual oppression. TGEU commits to centre their voices and experiences when working to advance the rights of trans people and fight against violence and discrimination.
The Litigation Consultant will be working with the Policy Team, in close collaboration with the Community Building Team and the Project Manager for Eastern Europe and Central Asia. They will report to the Advocacy Director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Organise, together with TGEU team members, the annual virtual meeting of the Trans Legal Network (online, 2 half-days, end of September 2021, around 15 participants, simultaneous interpretation EN <> RU) including lawyers representing trans individuals from Europe and Central Asia.
- Support continuous exchange and communication of Trans Legal Net members.
- Draft 2-3 third party interventions for strategic cases pertaining the rights of trans people before the European Court of Human Rights or before high-level national courts, pending suitable cases.
- Advise TGEU members on litigation.
We are looking for someone who
For this position, we are looking for a legal expert who has been involved in trans, LGBTI, and/or queer litigation locally and/or regionally/internationally. We are seeking someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives, and accumulates a set of skills:
- At least four years of experience in the areas of litigation and legal representation in the wider European area (Council of Europe member states), and particularly with the European Court of Human Rights;
- At least two years of experience in a national, or preferably international, organisation or private practice as a lawyer
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI advocacy and/or human rights related fields is desired.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Strong understanding and commitment to trans rights
- Knowledge of the European human rights framework is essential
- Ability to support complex working processes;
- Intersectional understanding in approach of work
- Highly comfortable with working with a diverse set of audiences and stakeholders
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams
- Indisputable work ethics
- Good knowledge of Russian is highly desired
- High sense of initiative and able to manage stressful situations
- Commitment to TGEU values and policies
We encourage applications from trans, gender-diverse and intersex people, Black, indigenous, and Latinx people and people of colour, D/deaf and disabled people, people with a migrant background, and sex workers. TGEU encourages applications from trans women and trans feminine persons.
A maximum budget of €9.000 (inclusive of VAT) will be available for these tasks. This sum is inclusive of all expenses.
The offers should include
- Short letter of interest detailing how you fulfil the qualifications we seek
- References to/examples of similar work you have undertaken including copies or web links to the final products (if possible)
- Contact information for 2 references
- A budget that includes your daily fee and other envisioned costs
Questions or inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with STRATEGIC LITIGATION CONSULTANT in the subject line. Please do not send degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
22 July 2021
31 August 2021
As soon as possible
Launch of the call
Deadline for receiving applications
Start of contract
Please submit your offer to email@example.com by 31 August 2021, 19:00 Central European Summer Time.