Call for consultant at TGEU
TGEU seeks proposals for one or more contracts to support Russian-English-Russian language translation for a range of programs.
Deadline for applications:
31 August 2021 – 19:00 CEST
Consultant contracts may be developed in either a monthly retainer or hourly basis depending on experience and availability
If you are interested, please submit your offer to email@example.com by 31 August 2021, 19:00 CEST with TRANSLATOR in the subject line.
TGEU is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU’s mission is to strengthen the rights and wellbeing of trans people in Europe and Central Asia, and represents 166 member organisations in 47 countries.
Translators will work directly with the Project Manager for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, as well as other programme, policy, and communications staff at TGEU. The scope of work shall include:
- Producing self-revised translations, primarily from English to Russian, of a range TGEU’s written resources (minimum 500 words), ensuring their accuracy, completeness, consistency, stylistic acceptability, and on-schedule delivery.
- Preparing translations, often of a sensitive nature and frequently on short notice.
- Researching appropriate trans-specific terminology to ensure that appropriate, non-stigmatising language is used.
- Communicating with other translators working on the same document or subject, ensuring consistency of style and terminology in the final products.
- Communicating with activists to help with document translations and dissemination.
- Maintaining up-to-date computer and information technology skills to remaining abreast of general developments in the translation field.
- Experience providing translation services, ideally at a professional level
- Fluency in both English and Russian
- Comfort or experience working with transgender people and/or translating terminology inclusive of trans issues
- Demonstrated ability to provide high quality translation
- Russian is a primary language (native-level ability or mother tongue)
- Proficiency in use of relevant standard software packages, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail)
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and build working relationships with trans groups and activists in the Russian-speaking region
We encourage applications from trans, gender-diverse and intersex people, Black, indigenous, and Latinx people and people of colour, D/deaf and disabled people, people with a migrant background, and sex workers. TGEU encourages applications from trans women and trans feminine persons.
Interested candidates should send bids for contract, including at least two references and any rate requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org with TRANSLATOR in the subject line. Top candidates will be asked to complete a short written exercise.