Notice of vacancy at TGEU
Senior Communications Officer
TGEU is looking for an 80% (32h/week)* Senior Communications Officer to begin by mid-March 2023 for an initial period of 24 months.
This position is located in Berlin, Germany. Due to relocation challenges and funding restrictions, preference will be given to applicants who are already eligible to work in Germany.
Applications sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 February 2023, 19:00 Central European Time, will be considered.
TGEU is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU’s mission is to strengthen the rights and wellbeing of trans people in Europe and Central Asia, and represents 200 member organisations in 48 countries. We are seeking applicants who are committed to a world free from discrimination where gender diversity is celebrated, where trans people are valued, and where trans movements are self-aware, intersectional, and evolving to meet the needs of a diverse and resilient community.
The Senior Communications Officer will be responsible for TGEU’s external communications which includes the development and implementation of TGEU’s communication strategy as well as the coordination of TGEU’s media work, newsletter, websites, social media, campaigns, and publications.
The Senior Communications Officer needs to be familiar with social justice struggles of other groups (i.e. not just trans rights) and be able to create communication strategies which centre the voices of the most marginalised communities within the trans community in Europe and Central Asia.
Key responsibilities are:
- Develop and implement TGEU’s Communications Strategy to meet TGEU’s goals and increase awareness of trans people and issues in Europe & Central Asia;
- Ensure messaging and visual consistency throughout TGEU’s communications and reports;
- Write press releases and draft effective messages to the media to generate positive coverage of TGEU and trans rights as requested;
- Build and maintain a network of journalists and media professionals, including those active in press, broadcast media, internet and social media, focused on trans and intersectional issues in Europe and Central Asia;
- Manage and expand TGEU’s presence in the media, respond to press requests, and ensure appropriate staff address enquiries in a timely manner;
- Work with TGEU staff to plan and promote key publications, interventions, and events;
- Support, plan, or coordinate awareness campaigns around key issues and dates of importance, such as the Trans Day of Remembrance, Trans Day of Visibility, IDAHOT, etc;
- Oversee the development of newsletters, semi-annual activity reports, and Activity Reports;
- Improve TGEU’s accessibility efforts by preparing publications for text-to-speech readers, coordinating captioning for videos, and ensuring images have proper alt-descriptions;
- Manage TGEU’s website and subdomains, as well as recommend and lead the implementation of improvements to make them more accessible for those with disabilities and non-English speakers;
- Assess the reach and impact of TGEU’s communications efforts among members and partners, reviewing monthly online analytics to recommend and implement improvements;
- Organise trainings for staff on issues such as strategic communications, engagement with the press, giving interviews, and public speaking;
- Manage Communications Officers, Interns, writers, editors, proof-readers, translators, designers, illustrators, web developers, video producers, etc;
- Contribute to internal and external reporting;
- Other tasks, as resulting from organisational processes.
Who we are looking for
For this position, we are looking for a Senior Communications Officer who has been involved in trans, LGBTI, and/or queer organising locally and/or regionally/internationally. We seek an experienced communications strategist who is comfortable leading an organisation’s communications work, including working with colleagues to translate the work of the organisation to external audiences, proactively responding to organisational needs. This position requires work outside regular office hours from time to time.
We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives and accumulates a set of experience, skills, and knowledge:
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written), Russian (preferable);
- Knowledge of another European language is a plus;
- Previous work in international organisation(s) or programmes; trans activism or social justice movements; trans, queer, or LGBI rights;
- Previous work in a Communications or related role;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to convey information in a compelling and concise way and to re-package complex or technical content in an accessible format;
- Good research and analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail;
- Strong project-management skills with the ability to manage communications projects;
- Extensive experience of writing for different audiences and for different communications channels;
- Knowledge of different communications approaches, including social media platforms and experience of communicating effectively via these platforms;
- Knowledge and experience of creating different types of content, including social media posts, articles, and video/audio content;
- A good understanding of the human rights situation for trans people across Europe and Central Asia;
- Planning and delivering trainings and workshops;
- Well-organised with the ability to manage a varied workload and prioritise tasks as needed;
- Creative, flexible and self-motivated character with openness to new ideas;
- Sound ability to work individually, within diverse teams, or managing other people;
- Understanding of intersectional approaches and willingness to learn, unlearn, and challenge normative narratives;
- Commitment to TGEU values and policies.
What we offer
- An 80% (32 hours per week) position for an initial period of 24 months;
- The possibility to work for the European and Central Asian trans movement – and truly make a difference;
- A dedicated team that will allow you to implement your ideas;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Gross salary of 37.785,00€ per year (for an 80% position);
- Relocation support to Berlin, Germany, if needed;
- A pet-friendly office space;
- Access arrangements depending on the needs of the employee, including remote working and flexible hours;
- Counselling/coaching sessions as needed.
For applications and questions, please contact email@example.com with “Senior Communications Officer” in the subject line. CVs are welcome, but please do not send degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
- Relaunch of the call: 6 February 2023
- Deadline for receiving applications: 20 February 2023
- Notification to shortlisted candidates for interviews: 24 February 2023
- First round interviews: 26-28 February 2023
- Second round interviews: 1-3 March 2023
- Decision communicated to applicants: 10 March 2023
- Start of position: mid-March 2023
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer striving to avoid discrimination and increase representation and expertise from underrepresented groups on the team. Therefore, TGEU encourages trans and/or queer; black people and people of colour; D/deaf and disabled people; people with a migration background; sex workers; trans women and gender-non-conforming people; people from Eastern Europe and Central Asia; people living with HIV, to apply and mention their backgrounds and experiences in their application. We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before 20 February 2023, 19:00 Central European Time.
* With a possibility of increase to 100%.