Notice of vacancy
Communications internship at TGEU
TGEU is looking for a full time* (40h/week) Communications intern for a period of up to six (6) months starting in July 2021. The internship is an opportunity to develop and strengthen skills in communications and campaigning for trans rights and social justice with the assistance of TGEU staff.
The place of work will be Berlin, Germany. Given the current COVID-19 situation, the position could require to work online at the start, but relocation to Germany is a must. Due to funding restrictions, and taking into account the duration of the internship, we regret that we can only consider applicants who are already eligible to work in Germany.
Only applications sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 16 June 2021, noon Central European Time, will be considered.
TGEU is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU’s mission is to strengthen the rights and wellbeing of trans people in Europe and Central Asia, and represents 172 member organisations in 48 countries.
The intern will work closely with our Communications Coordinator to support the implementation of TGEU’s communications efforts and campaigns for 2021. Key responsibilities will include:
- Draft press releases, statements, social media copies, and other communication outputs;
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in developing campaigns for the Trans Day of Remembrance and other international dates of importance;
- Create content and visuals for TGEU’s website and social media;
- Monitor TGEU’s presence on mainstream media and identify potential allies in the media sector;
- Support with managing TGEU’s website, e-mails, and social media channels;
- Support in ensuring TGEU’s content is more accessible, including adding subtitles to videos and writing alt-texts to images;
- Support the development of communications-related tutorials and trainings for staff and members;
- Support in ensuring consistent visual and messaging throughout TGEU’s external communications, reports, and presentations;
- Take up other tasks in support of the Communications Coordinator related to communications and campaigning.
Who we are looking for
For this position, we are looking for a trans activist who has been involved in trans, LGBTI, and/or queer organising and has some experience or interest in the field of communications and campaigning.
We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives, and has:
- Work or volunteer experience with communications and activism (including online activism);
- Good knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Knowledge of other language(s) is a plus;
- Willingness to learn, unlearn, and challenge normative narratives;
- Commitment to TGEU values and policies;
- Experience with graphic design, website, or social media is a plus;
What we offer
- A 100%* (40 hours per week) position for up to 6 months starting in July 2021 (ending 31 December 2021);
- The chance to get experience working for the European and Central Asian trans movement;
- An opportunity to develop and strengthen skills in communications and campaigning for trans rights;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Salary of 1.800€ (gross salary) per month;
- Access arrangements depending on the needs of the intern.
For any questions, please send your inquiry to email@example.com. Please do not send CVs, degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
Only the application pack and attachments for the practical exercise will be taken into account. Please do not give additional information via email.
2 June 2021
16 June 2021
18 June 2021
21-23 June 2021
30 June 2021
Launch of the call
Deadline for receiving applications
Notification to shortlisted candidates for interviews
Decision communicated to all applicants
Start of position
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer striving to avoid discrimination and increase representation and expertise from underrepresent-ed groups on the team. Therefore, TGEU encourages trans and/or queer; black people and people of colour; D/deaf and disabled people; people with a migration background; sex workers; trans women and gender-non-conforming people; people from Eastern Europe and Central Asia;** people living with HIV, to apply and mention their backgrounds and experiences in their application.
We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before Wednesday 16 June 2021 noon, Central European Time.
*part time of 80% (32h/week) can be negotiated
**please note that, for this call, work permit for Germany is needed (see above).