Notice of vacancy
Policy Officer at TGEU
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is looking for a Policy Officer to join our staff. This is ideally a full-time (100%, 40h/week) position, but part-time (80%, 32h/week) candidates will also be considered. This is a regular position for an initial period of 21 months (April 2020 – December 2021).
The place of work is located in Berlin, Germany and will require frequent travel.
Deadline for applications
Only applications sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before 20 March, 2020, 19:00 Central European Time, will be considered.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU aims to strengthen the trans movement through advocacy, campaigning, researching, community building, and networking with alliances, and represents more than 141 member organisations in 44 countries.
TGEU recognizes that trans people across Europe and Central Asia remain at an increased risk of violence, discrimination, criminalising practices and detention. Particularly trans sex workers, migrants, refugees, unemployed, homeless and other marginalised groups have to fight a continuous mix of systematic and individual oppression. TGEU commits to center their voices and experiences when working to advance the rights of trans people and fight against violence and discrimination.
- Safety/Violence (incl. Sex work, Prison);
- Gender Equality;
- Legal Gender Recognition;
- Strategic Litigation;
- Countering Backlash;
- Membership engagement.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies combating anti-trans violence, including violence against sex workers and trans people in detention (in close collaboration with the TGEU global and community building staff);
- Work towards better protection of trans people in the Common European Asylum System;
- Strengthen the inclusion of trans people in gender equality measures and policies;
- Advance the legal protection of trans people on grounds of gender identity, gender expression;
- Ensure accessibility and utility of TGEU policy activities and tools for trans communities;
- Work with relevant stakeholders, including institutions on European level, such as European Union, Council of Europe, OSCE;
- Conceptualise, coordinate and write human rights reports, publications, and other advocacy material;
- Contribute to the strategic development of the organisation;
- Train and provide support to TGEU members engaging in policy advocacy in their countries and European institutions.
- Contribute to reporting, both internal and external;
- Take over other tasks as required.
Who are we looking for
For this position, we are looking for someone who ideally demonstrates a strong record in the field of trans rights, the functioning of European Institutions (EU, Council of Europe, OSCE) and their human rights mechanisms and law, as well as well as civil society working experience – preferably internationally.
- At least two years of experience in the areas of policy, advocacy or European Institutions work;
- At least two years of experience in a national or preferably international organisation;
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI and/or human rights related fields is desired.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written) with strong writing skills;
- Knowledge of the European human rights framework is desirable;
- Sound knowledge on trans issues and trans rights;
- Ability to support complex working processes;
- Intersectional understanding in approach to work
- Highly comfortable with working with policy makers, partners, and external stakeholders;
- Comfortable speaking in public;
- Ability to manage a high work load;
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams;
- Alignment with TGEU values and policies;
- High sense of initiative, and able to manage stressful situations;
- Willingness for frequent travel (about once a month);
- Reporting skills for funding and external communication; and
- Good knowledge of another European language is highly desired;
What we offer
- A position that can range from 80% (32 hours per week) to 100% (40 hours per week) for an initial period of 20 months
- The possibility to work for the European and Central Asian trans movement;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Gross salary of 42.150€ per year (full time position);
- Up to 1.500 € of relocation support to Berlin, Germany, if needed;
- A pet-friendly office space;
- German classes (if desired);
- Monthly counselling/coaching sessions.
Physical Accessibility of TGEU's offices
Launch of the call 10 February 2020
Extended deadline for receiving applications, 20 March 2020, 19:00 CET
Online interviews planned for 24-26 March 2020
Start of position April/May 2020
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer striving to avoid discrimination and increase representation and expertise from underrepresented groups on the team. Therefore, TGEU encourages trans and/or queer; trans women; black people and people of colour; D/deaf and disabled people; people with a migration background; sex workers; gender-non-conforming people; people from Eastern Europe and Central Asia; people living with HIV, to apply and mention their backgrounds and experiences in their application.
We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.