Notice of vacancy
TvT project internship at TGEU
Only applications sent by e-mail to email@example.com before 8 January, 2019, 19:00 Central European Time, will be considered.
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU aims to strengthen the trans movement through advocacy, campaigning, researching, community building, and networking with alliances, and represents more than 112 member organisations in 44 countries.
The Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide (TvT) is a comparative qualitative-quantitative research project that seeks to provide an overview of the human rights situation of trans and gender-diverse people in different parts of the world and to develop useful data and advocacy tools for international institutions, human rights organisations, the trans movement, and the general public. It includes the Trans Murder Monitoring (TMM) and the Legal and Social Mapping (LSM).
The intern will work closely with Lukas, our TvT Project Coordinator, to support the project’s implementation, which will include different activities, such as being part of:
- Supporting the TvT team in organising a meeting previous to the ILGA World Conference in Wellington, New Zealand, in March 2019;
- Developing partnerships, strategies, and collaborations with trans activists, researchers, and social movements around the world;
- Organising and delivering workshops and trainings for trans activists;
- Developing research and advocacy tools;
- Contributing to internal and external reporting;
- Participating in organisational restructuring;
- Other tasks related to research and movement building.
The role will include some international travel, as well as both administrative and content-related work.
Who are we looking for
For this internship, we are looking for an activist who has been involved in research and community organising, preferably trans-focused, in the Global South or East. The intern will work with the TvT team, which includes eight Regional Coordinators, and consult the TvT Global Advisors.
We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives, and has experience with and/or skills on:
- At least one year of volunteer or paid activism on the national, regional, or international level (including online activism);
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Good knowledge of Spanish is desirable;
- Other language is a plus;
- Shown interest in research and community organising (trainings and events);
- Good logistical skills;
- Being open-minded, critical, and flexible;
- Intersectional understanding in approach of work;
- Highly comfortable working with communities and activists;
- Being comfortable working both in multicultural teams and independently (with appropriate support);
- Alignment with TGEU values and policies;
- High sense of initiative and able to manage stressful situations, including a high work load;
- Willing to learn, unlearn, and challenge normative narratives;
- Being involved with another social movement is a plus.
What we offer
- A 100% (40 hours per week) position for 6 months, starting in March-April 2019 (flexible);
- A dedicated team that will allow you to implement your ideas;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Salary of 1.600 € per month;
- 1500€ of relocation support to Berlin, Germany;
- A pet-friendly office space;
- Access arrangements depending on the needs of the intern;
- German classes (if desired);
- Monthly counselling/coaching sessions.
Accessibility of TGEU's offices
TGEU’s offices are partially accessible for wheelchair users: there is a steep ramp from the street down to the elevator; once inside, all the rooms are situated on one level and the office doors and corridors are very wide; the toilets are on the same level but the doors are too narrow to allow access when using a wheelchair.
To apply, please download and complete the application pack:
For any questions, please send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not send CVs, degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
7 December 2018
8 January 2019
18 January 2019
21-31 January 2019
1 February 2019
Launch of the call
Deadline for receiving applications, 19:00 CET
Notification only to shortlisted candidates for interviews
Decision communicated to all applicants
Visa process (if applicable)
Start of position
TGEU is an equal opportunities employer striving to avoid discrimination and increase representation and expertise from underrepresent-ed groups on the team. Therefore, TGEU encourages trans and/or queer; black people and people of colour; D/deaf and disabled people; people with a migration background; sex workers; trans women and gender-non-conforming people; people from the Global South and East; people living with HIV, to apply and mention their back-grounds and experiences in their application.
We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before 8 January 2019, 19:00 Central European Time.
16:00 Brasília, Brazil
02:00 Beijing, China