Notice of vacancy
Communications Officer at TGEU
21:00 Moscow, Russia Time
23:59 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Time
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU aims to strengthen the trans movement through advocacy, campaigning, researching, community building, and networking with alliances, and represents more than 112 member organisations in 44 countries.
The Communications Officer needs to be familiar with social justice struggles of other groups (i.e. not just trans rights) and be able to create communication strategies which centre the voices of the most marginalised communities within the trans community in Europe and Central Asia.
The Communications Officer will support TGEU member organisations and groups with their campaigns, and the Policy Team on statements and advocacy work.
Key responsibilities are:
- Management of social media channels;
- Visual identity;
- Coordination of campaigns for the Trans Day of Remembrance, Trans Day of Visibility, and other international dates;
- Ensure media statements are in line with TGEU’s core messages, and facilitate the promotion or release of statements to audiences;
- Backend coordination of website, e-mails, and mailing-lists in cooperation with the Operations Officer;
- Establish working relationships with others working in the media or communications sector who work with and for marginalised populations, including migrant, sex worker, women’s rights, anti-racist, disability groups and organisations;
- Support TGEU’s fundraising activities;
- Support webinars;
- Contribute to strategic development of the organisation;
- Contribute to internal and external reporting;
- Other tasks, as resulting from organisational processes.
Who are we looking for
For this position, we are looking for a trans activist who has been involved in trans, LGBTI and/or queer organising locally and/or regionally/internationally.
We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives and accumulates a set of skills:
- Work or volunteer experience in international organisation(s) or programmes; trans activism or social justice movements;
- Working with journalists and the media.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Communications, media and campaigning, for trans, queer, or LGBI rights;
- A good understanding of the human rights situation for trans people across Europe and Central Asia.
- Social media, design of graphics for online use, website development (WordPress), printing processes;
- Know-how on adding subtitles to videos, alternative-text to images, and making PDF documents that are accessible;
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams.
- Understanding of intersectional approaches;
- Willing to learn, unlearn, and challenge normative narratives;
- Story-telling through comics, poems, short stories, videos, or other medium;
- Video editing, filming, production, and photography;
- Planning and delivering trainings and workshops on campaigning and communications.
What we offer
- A 80% (32 hours per week) position for an initial period of 24 months, starting in mid-February 2019;
- The possibility to work for the European and Central Asian trans movement;
- A dedicated team that will allow you to implement your ideas;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Gross salary of 32.160 € per year;
- 1.500 € of relocation support to Berlin, Germany, if needed;
- A pet-friendly office space;
- Access arrangements depending on the needs of the employee, including remote working and flexible hours;
- German classes (if desired);
- Monthly counselling/coaching sessions.
Accessibility of TGEU's offices
TGEU’s offices are partially accessible for wheelchair users: there is a steep ramp from the street down to the elevator; once inside, all the rooms are situated on one level and the office doors and corridors are very wide; the toilets are on the same level but the doors are too narrow to allow access when using a wheelchair.
To apply, please download and complete the application pack:
Please do not send CVs, degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
7 December 2018
8 January 2019
18 January 2019
21-31 January 2019
1 February 2019
Launch of the call
Deadline for receiving applications, 19:00 CET
Notification only to shortlisted candidates for interviews
Decision communicated to all applicants
Start of position
We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before 8 January 2019, 19:00 Central European Time.21:00 Moscow, Russia Time
23:59 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Time