Notice of vacancy
Policy Officer at TGEU
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is looking for a part time (80%, 32h/week) Policy Officer starting mid-February 2019, for an initial period of 24 months.
21:00 Moscow, Russia Time
23:59 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Time
Transgender Europe (TGEU) is a member-based organisation working primarily in Europe and Central Asia for the rights and lives of trans people. TGEU aims to strengthen the trans movement through advocacy, campaigning, researching, community building, and networking with alliances, and represents more than 112 member organisations in 44 countries.
Trans people across Europe and Central Asia remain at an increased risk of violence, discrimination, criminalising practices and detention. Particularly trans sex workers, migrants, refugees, unemployed, homeless and other marginalised groups have to fight a continuous mix of systematic and individual oppression. TGEU commits to center their voices and experiences when working to advance the rights of trans people and fight against violence and discrimination.
The Policy Officer will be working in the Policy Team and report to the Strategic Director. They will be responsible to develop and implement TGEU’s policy and advocacy work predominantly with European institutions (EU, CoE, OSCE) in the areas of:
- Violence (incl. Sex work, Prison);
- Gender Equality;
- Membership engagement.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies combating anti-trans violence with a particular focus on sex workers and trans people in detention (in close collaboration with the TGEU global and community building team);
- Work towards better protection of trans people in the Common European Asylum System;
- Strengthen the inclusion of trans people in gender equality measures and policies;
- Advance the legal protection of trans people on grounds of gender identity, gender expression;
- Ensure accessibility and utility of TGEU policy activities and tools for trans communities;
- Work with relevant stakeholders, including institutions on European level, such as European Union, Council of Europe, OSCE;
- Contribute to the development of the TGEU strategic plan 2019 – 2022;
- Contribute to the development of TGEU internal structures during the interim phase 2019;
- Take over other tasks as required.
Who are we looking for
For this position, we are looking for a trans activist who has been involved in trans, LGBTI and/or queer organising locally and/or regionally/internationally.
We are looking for someone who applies a (self-)critical approach to their work, includes intersectional perspectives and accumulates a set of skills:
- At least two years of experience in the areas of policy, advocacy or European Institutions work;
- At least two years of experience in a national or preferably international organisation;
- Work or volunteer experience in LGBTI and/or human rights related fields is desired.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written);
- Good knowledge of another European language is highly desired;
- Knowledge of the European human rights framework is desirable;
- Ability to support complex working processes;
- Intersectional understanding in approach of work;
- Highly comfortable with working with policy makers, partners, and external stakeholders;
- Comfortable speaking in public;
- Ability to manage a high work load;
- Sound ability to work individually and within diverse teams;
- Indisputable work ethics;
- Alignment with TGEU values and policies;
- High sense of initiative, and able to manage stressful situations;
- Reporting skills for funding and external communication.
What we offer
- A 80% (32 hours per week) position for an initial period of 24 months, starting in mid-February 2019;
- The possibility to work for the European and Central Asian trans movement;
- A dedicated team that will allow you to implement your ideas;
- Full healthcare plan;
- Gross salary of 32.160 € per year;
- 1.500 € of relocation support to Berlin, Germany, if needed;
- A pet-friendly office space;
- Access arrangements depending on the needs of the employee, including remote working and flexible hours;
- German classes (if desired);
- Monthly counselling/coaching sessions.
Accessibility of TGEU's offices
TGEU’s offices are partially accessible for wheelchair users: there is a steep ramp from the street down to the elevator; once inside, all the rooms are situated on one level and the office doors and corridors are very wide; the toilets are on the same level but the doors are too narrow to allow access when using a wheelchair.
To apply, please download and complete the application pack:
Please do not send CVs, degrees or diplomas. Only complete application packs will be considered. Approaching TGEU team members directly might lead to automatic rejection of the application.
7 December 2018
8 January 2019
18 January 2019
21-31 January 2019
1 February 2019
Launch of the call
Deadline for receiving applications, 19:00 CET
Notification only to shortlisted candidates for interviews
Decision communicated to all applicants
Start of position
We guarantee that all information will be held confidentially.
Please send your application before 8 January 2019, 19:00 Central European Time.21:00 Moscow, Russia Time
23:59 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan Time